Correct Linux Kernel for Sonnet G4 in PowerMac 7500 with Sarge?

Hello, all!

I just upgraded my old Power Macintosh 7500 to have a Sonnet Crescendo/PCI G4
Processor Upgrade Card. The Mac was a dual boot Mac OS 8.6 / Debian Linux "Sarge" box.
The guy who installed the upgrade card had to run an installer off a floppy for Mac OS and
there is a Sonnet Extension in the Extensions folder. Mac OS runs spiffy.

The problem is Debian won't boot at all; I just get a black screen. I have BootX set up to load
a 2.6.8 kernel (overwrote the exact name of the kernel); I'm guessing that the kernel is the
problem. It probably only works for a 601 processor.

I had the guy throw out the 601 processor, so going back temporarily isn't an option. I am
having a devil of a time getting the Old World Mac booted to use the Etch Install CD. (I am
really interested in upgrading to Etch. There is nothing on the Linux parition I care about
saving.) Floppy booting doesn't work, probably because of the Sonnet Extension. Etch
doesn't include Ramdisk/Kernel images to use with BootX.

>From my previous posting on 10/29/2006, it appears that people have had success booting
into Sarge with a Sonnet card. So, if someone would post with a kernel that allows me to boot
into Sarge with the Sonnet card and from where to download the kernel, I should be able to
handle upgrading to Etch by myself at that point.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Sincerely,
--
Jeffrey Rolland
<jrolland@wiremail.org>

"The weed of crime bears bitter fruit; crime does NOT pay! The Shadow knows!"
   - _The Shadow_