Re: radeon driver updates for mac laptops

On 8/30/07, Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac@corsac.net> wrote:
> On mer, 2007-08-29 at 23:36 -0400, Alex Deucher wrote:
> > Those of you with radeon based mac laptops please test the latest code
> > in that ati git tree.  I recently added connector table and quirk
> > information for mac laptops.  You will need at least xserver 1.3 and a
> > recent version of xrandr (1.2.2 preferred) to test.
> >
> > As far as I can tell there are three apple laptop variants:
> >
> > ibook                              - LVDS, TVDAC drives TV or VGA via
> > dongle
> > powerbook-duallink   - LVDS, TV, External TMDS/Primary DAC
> > powerbook                   - LVDS, TV, Internal TMDS/Primary DAC
> >
> > To test, add:
> >
> > Option "MacModel" "<string>"
> >
> > to the device section of your xorg config where <string> is one of the
> > following:
> > ibook
> > powerbook-duallink
> > powerbook
>
> I've successfully built the driver and tried it. xrandr recognises it,
> and it detects correctly my output monitor, I can switch it on/off with
> xrandr --auto, and it works as "cloned". I don't seem to be able to move
> it to right (or left) using --right-of:
>
> corsac@hidalgo: xrandr --output DVI-0 --mode 1024x768 --right-of LVDS
> xrandr: screen cannot be larger than 1280x1280 (desired size 2304x854)
>
> Any advice?

you need to add a virtual line to the screen section of your config:
Virtual 2304 854
Also, if you are using a r100 or r200 variant, you'll need to disable
colortiling if the size of your desktop exceeds 2048 in either
dimension.
Option "colortiling" "false"

Eventually, when the memory management stuff lands, this sort of thing
will go away, but for now we have to pre-allocate the max size you may
want for your desktop.

Alex