Boot from hard drive on IBM 44P-170

I have finally figured out how to boot from the hard drive of my IBM RS/6000. I finally realized I have to run mkvmlinuz, not just install it. I used dd to copy the newly created vmlinuz to the PReP boot partition. I created a yaboot.conf file in /etc just in case. The vmlinuz was a little over 7 Megs, so it's a good thing I made the partition 10 Megs. So, after copying the vmlinuz to the boot partition, I crossed my fingers and rebooted. Of course I also set my multiboot to boot off of the first scsi disk.

Finally, I got the hard drive to boot just like the Etch install cd. Unfortunately, that left me at a white screen just like the Etch install cd. I'm having conflicting emotions. On the one hand, I'm excited to actually boot off of the hard drive. I know now that all I have to do is get a kernel that will actually boot for me. On the other hand, it's not easy to find a kernel that will boot for me. So, here's where I'm at:

I need a kernel with the sym53c8xx SCSI driver built in. Perhaps I could compile it myself given enough time and frustration. I'll have to go through the painful process of trying to compile it using a 2.6.11 kernel(the only one I can get to run for me) in a chroot environment. Or hopefully, someone could compile it for me and put it somewhere I can use wget to retrieve it.

Currently what I see when I try to boot is this:

done

opening PHB /pci@fef00000... done

opening PHB /pci@fee00000... done

instantiating rtas at 0x000000002ffb5000 ... done

0000000000000000 : boot cpu 0000000000000000

copying OF device tree ...

Building dt strings...

Building dt structure...

Device tree strings 0x0000000001e5a000 -> 0x0000000001e5b027

Device tree struct 0x0000000001e5c000 -> 0x0000000001e61000

Calling quiesce ...

returning from prom_init

_

I hope this shows ok without making hyperlinks. Anyways, I don't have the knowledge or experience to know if this is a bug or I'm just not using some necessary boot parameter. I don't think this is a video problem.

Is this something I need to file a bug report for?