Re: Xorg won't start on a PowerMac 9600 (ATI Mach64)

Hi,
I've got a powermac 6500/225, which is a bit older than yours. My
graphic card is built in:

00:12.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage I/II 215GT [Mach64 GT] (rev 41)

It uses the ati module and not the atimisc that you're using. have you
tried substituting "atimisc" with "ati" or "vesa" in xorg.conf?

I also found the following bug report:

bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=429432

This bug is also related to a strange resolution on a mac, however at
least they can still get xorg running with a lower resolution. Have
you tried messing around with the screen resolutions in xorg.conf?
I doubt that will solve it though since the color depth seems to be
the problem. I can't imagine that atimisc doesn't support 24 bits.
Maybe the support for your card is just crappy. Have you had xorg or
XFree86 running on it before?

Maybe you should post a bug report for xserver-xorg, they were very
helpful there with my problem. Eventhough they couldn't solve it, at
least I know the exact problem now.

Last but not least, I also have an adapter for my screen cable, you
don't have to set any screen resolutions on it and it supports multiple
resolutions between 15" and 19". Maybe you should look on ebay for
something like that.

ciao, rob