Re: Ban for debian-powerp on Sven Luther lifted.

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 10:43:01PM +0000, Cord Beermann wrote:
> <[🔎] 20070722094408.GA14907@aragorn>
>
> Hi.
>
> We just lifted the ban on Sven Luther on this list.

Thanks,

> Comments:
>
> The Ban on d-project has been publical announced in
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2007/05/msg00234.html I also
> noted there that i hoped that this ban would be temporary.
>
> After that some more things happened involving d-boot and d-private,
> so listmasters decided to extend the ban to all lists and announced it
> on d-private. (which was maybe wrong and we should have dropped a note
> in d-project too)
>
> As you might see in the Archive of d-project the name of Sven is still
> causing irritations, so we now run the ban-lifting on a per request
> basis and ask the users of the lists. (and d-powerpc isn't the first
> list where we lifted the ban)

Cord, i believe that the right thing would have been for the ban to
happen on those lists which where users requested it, and not on all
lists as it has been. The concept of censorship that debian used against
me is a very grave act, and one of shame and dishonor for debian.

> Even as the whole affair is unlucky, and asking on a technical list
> about it is unappropriate, I can't understand why some people produce
> mails like in
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2007/07/msg00091.html or
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2007/07/msg00099.html
> these kind of responses aren't helpful in any way.

Nothing in this mess has been helpful, and i can understand Børge
reaction, which is the kind of reaction debian deserves for engaging in
censorship and expulsion over a damn childish personal vendetta of a few
guys.

But anyway, thanks for lifting the ban, now, let's see if we can bring
the powerpc port in action again, despite the clear will of the d-i
leadership to kill it. I wanted to participate in this evenings d-i irc
meeting (http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Meetings/Coordination),
to discuss the status of the powerpc port, but the d-i folk rejected my
participation.

So, the revival of the powerpc port passes either by someone else taking
the d-i powerpc job, or by forking d-i on powerpc, which will be a mess,
or alternatively beet some sense in those d-i and debian folk who
believe expulsion and censorship is an acceptable behaviour, and forget
what we agreed to in the social contract, namely to put our users and
free software as our top priorities.

Friendly,

Sven Luther