-pg introduced _mcount calls

Greetings!  GCL natively relocates .o object files for the purposes of
external shared libraries is dangerous, as GCL allows the user to save
the running image and re-execute later, at which time the function
could be in a different place.  Function calls which can be
manipulated at the C level are therefore redirected through pointers
which are reset at image startup.  _mcount cannot be treated as such,
as there is no C source footprint to the call.  I've tried redirecting
the address to a mcount_wrapper internal to GCL, but this appears to
cause corruption on s390 and powerpc alone.  Using the external libc
address functions properly on these platforms (at least until image
save and restart).  We have an analogous problem on alpha with the
__divq and __remq calls inserted by the compiler directly into the .S
or .o output.

Is there a safe way to wrap these calls?  If not, is there a generic
way to instruct gcc not to insert such or otherwise workaround the
problem?  Obviously this would at a minimum entail omitting -pg.

Take care,