trouble getting etch to boot after load.

After loading etch on my beige g3 I took the initrd.gz and vmlinux files out of the /boot directory and placed them in the bootx kernel folder in macOS 8.6.

It seems to boot fine but then hangs in the sequence at this point

Begin: Waiting for root filesystem... ...
Done.
	Check root= bootarg cat /proc/cmdline
	or missing modules, devices: cat /proc/modules ls /dev
FATAL: Error inserting i8042 (/lib/modules/2.6.18-4-powerpc/kernel/drivers/input
/serio/i8042.ko): Device or resource busy
ALERT! does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-4) Built-in shell (ash)
enter help..........etc

does anyone have some suggestions as to what I should do?

Sarge seems to work fine, but with this new kernel I think it is pulling a fast one on my beige g3.

Should I just stick with sarge?

Thanks,

Ben

--