Re: Builds disturbed by the usage of a 64bit kernel.

On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 11:33:38PM -0400, Albert Cahalan wrote:
> On 5/28/07, Charles Plessy <charles-debian-nospam@plessy.org> wrote:
> >Le Mon, May 28, 2007 at 07:52:42PM -0400, Albert Cahalan a écrit :
> >>
> >> 1. you actually ARE cross compiling
> >> 2. you didn't tell the package that (via make arguments, etc.)
> >
> >Hi,
> >
> >does it mean that there is something broken in the concept of a Debian
> >port? When I install a "Debian Etch for powerpc" on my iMac G5, when I
> >want to backport a package from Sid by doing "apt-get source --build",
> >if I understand correctly, I am unintentionally cross-compiling ?
>
> If you intend to run on that system, then I don't
> think you are cross-compiling.
>
> Running a 32-bit userspace on a 64-bit kernel is
> however gross, foul, bad, nasty, and wrong.

Huh ? What do you base this on ? This is contrary to what every
linux/powerpc folk from IBM have told us.

It may be the case on x86/amd64, because of the limited scope of that
braindead and register starved architecture, where going from 8-1
registers to 16 is a huge performance improvement that more than
balances the performance hit of huger code.

But powerpc was designed from the start with both 32bit and 64bit in
mind, and there is no advantage from running 64bit applications appart
from 64bit arithmetic and apps needing huge memoryt access.

> This isn't Windows; we have source code and we

This isn't x86 too.

> can recompile things to be fully native. Running
> a hybrid system is just asking for breakage. There
> are two obvious fixes, all 32-bit and all 64-bit.

This is not what Redhat and suse do, this is not what IBM recomends,
this is not what the PowerPC linux experts recomend.

> >If apt-get is called with the linux32 tool, does it suppress
> >cross-compiling ?
>
> No. You still don't have a fully 32-bit system.
> You need an emulator for that.

Powerpc is perfectly able to run 32 bit code. The problem is probably
coming from the debian tools whose biarch support was designed for
amd64.

Friendly,

Sven Luther