Re: Powerbook5,7 (G4 17") and USB 2.0 disk drive

Hi all,

On  24 May, this message from Sven Luther echoed through cyberspace:
> On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 01:16:24AM +0200, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
>> On Thu, May 24 2007, at 00:27 +0200, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
>>
>> > I have lots of problems connecting hardware to an AluBook 5.8. For
>> > both USB and Firewire enclosures.
>>
>> In order to not exaggerate: At least some USB enclosure works,
>> provided I connect it with 2(!) connectors to the alubook, and
>> provided I plug those in some correct order, whatever this is ...
>
> Well, this is the normal power limitation of the USB device, nothing
> to be worried about.

Sven is entirely right here. I don't know what the Firewire output power
available on the Powerbook is, but it could well be lower than what you
get on desktops.

However:

> An USB connected external disk powered from only
> the USB connector *CANNOT* work.

This is not true. It depends largely on the particular device. I have a
Plextor 80G external 2.5" drive, that does work very well on only one
USB connector lead.

But connecting disks via USB remains problematic: 3.5" disks are
hopeless, and you need specific 2.5" disks; for instance my old 10G
drive out of a TiBook would not work on USB, but does so on Firewire
(more power).

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |