Re: Sound output on PBs

Le dimanche 27 mai 2007 à 01:01 +0200, Børge Holen a écrit :
> Is it just me or is the audio output on the PB just a poor excuse for gettin
> an external usb soundcard. For certain aint handling any low/high frequezies
> without scrambling it.
> It for sure cant make my 300$ headphones work for the money. I've pretty much
> decided that I would like my PB to grow a pci slot for my live! soundblaster.
> I'm using VLC for audioplayback and the equalizer witch follows.
>
> Anyone got some clue on what to put my money on, both small, portable and
> something that I actually can use for audio listening.

I got a Behringer UCA202 :
http://www.behringer.com/UCA202/index.cfm?lang=eng
(Burr-Brown/TI PCM2902 chip inside) which is low-end "musician quality"
USB sound card and has quite a good sound quality (good SnR ratio, low
THD and a wide frequency response : see the manual for the actual
values). And it is pretty cheap, i found it for around 30€ in a music
shop. Of course, working fine with linux-usb-audio. Except for a "small"
bug that i could maybe point someone's attention on here :
http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb-users&m=116791458129201&w=2
which is quite annoying (appears only on ppc apparently).
But the quality is worth it for such a cheap device. No more distortions
in loud and high sections, a bit less background noise. Tested with a
Sennheiser HD495 headset.