Re: woes of installation of debian on G5

Le Fri, May 18, 2007 at 10:58:47AM -0400, Comer Duncan a écrit :

> I note that I have just this week moved or wanted to move from ydl to
> debian because quite frankly ydl does not have the software support of
> already built things I really need.  Debian on the face of it does.
> However, when I installed ydl last week everything went smoothly AND
> it worked with no glitches.  So, I am quite perplexed.

Hi,

although I have no direct answer to your surprising problem (I installed
debian on two G5s and it went fine), you may try the following
workaround:

- Install Debian in one partition,
- Install a minimal ydl on another,
- use ydl's yaboot to start Debian until either:
  - somebody fixes yaboot in Debian,
  - somebody reports a successful usage of GRUB2 on powerpc.

Good luck !!

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org