woes of installation of debian on G5

I am writing to elicit some help in sorting through why my attempts to
install debian-40r0-powerpc-DVD-1.iso do not work.

I have a Mac G5 on which I have put a new Seagate 500GB disk that I
want to install debian on. I have Disk Utility to assign around 50 GB
to a mac os extended journaled partition and around 425 GB to Free
Space.  I then put in the dvd for the above mentioned flavor of debian
and boot with 'c' held down.  Sometimes it boots the dvd.  When it
does, I see the usual boot options.  I choose power64 since that is
what the instructions indicate and proceed along with the install.
All apparently goes well.  The installation completes, I remove the
dvd and reboot as instructed. When the options come up I see the usual
and expected l, x, and c.  However, no matter which option I choose I
get the white screen of death, truly an out of body experience...:).
I have tried several of the other options such as install, install
video=ofonly, install64 video=ofonly,  None work. The latter two just
give me the info

done
/pci80.f0000000/ATY,RocketParent@10/ATY, opening..._ on the white background

and this never progresses.

For the install64 to go so apparently smoothly and then the thing does
not boot properly it very very disturbing.

I note that I have just this week moved or wanted to move from ydl to
debian because quite frankly ydl does not have the software support of
already built things I really need.  Debian on the face of it does.
However, when I installed ydl last week everything went smoothly AND
it worked with no glitches.  So, I am quite perplexed.

Can those of you on the list who have done what I am trying to do
please help me out?  I can provide as much detail as needed. Just did
not want to over populate this query with all the gory details.

Maybe I am doing something wrong?  Surely people who have put up
debian 4-r0 on a G5 will have solved problems that I may be
overlooking.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Comer Duncan