Re: beige PowerMac G3 freezes starting X with etch

Hello brian,

thanks for your helpful response. I would expect that there should be xorg v7.0 on the servers if it's known that 7.1 or 7.2 doesn't work well in some circumstances. But that's another point, don't stop progress.

Some odd things first.

hi,

i looked at your attachments.
i have a beigeg3 but it is slightly newer version
than yours. the rageII graphics was said to be
a difficulty in the past (no surprise, regression)

Sorry, worked very well in sarge.

i have upgraded one newer power mac, and tracked it
through the upgrade in place through testing and all
that. i also have an original g3 powerbook which i
could not even get boot sarge yet (although i had the
one previous model going with it fine), because of
video issue even at the frame buffer/ console.

Yes, can acknowledge that. Two columns each 1 or 2 characters wide get crippled. It depends on the resolution where they are. Oh, sorry, forgot one thing. I don't get them when booting the kernel with video=ofonly but then I get very flaw colors dark gray on light black in the consoles. Which isn't very much fun either. But as the beige G3 is managed remotely, that's no deal.

anyway, i see in your log, actually lots of error
on the scsci bus. if i know my experience is that
these things can interact to produce freeze (even
though it seems unrelated...). so first thing i would
do is unhook your scsi chain. if you need a cd right
away you might have to get it on the ata bus ( i did
to even get sarge on mine).

My historiy. I haven't had the time to config the nvram to boot with quik. That's why I have to boot with BootX from MacOS9. And that's on an old scsi disk. Got nasty problems with an hit... drive. Must work with this for a while.

second if you have three pci cards i would pull the
oldest one ( looked like you had two different usb
cards in there).

Oh! There's only two cards in, the ethernet and the _one_ usb. Perhaps there are different USB hubs on it? It was a no name labeled to work with MacOS X.

thirdly, you *must* twiddle the xorg-conf file. you
did not include that with your report, it is the
essential part. from my experience the installers
never can auto configure the X successfully on older
machines.

fourth consider if you really like old macs (I do)
some
way to fix up the video. BTW i saw you were booting
in some very high res mode even though you have only
the 2MB vram. for start i would boot it as trying
a) 800x600 w/millions of colors, and
b) 1024x768 w/256 colors.

That's a problem, because there is the 4MB VRAM extension in place. And MacOS 9 gets it. As the graphic should match a ATI rage pci graphics with 6MB VRAM it should work fine. The alternative is a formac imagine128 graphic card hosting 8MB VRAM. But I got trouble using it as there are no MacOS 9 drivers on the PMac and I'm still booting with BootX. Didn't get a signal with that card (yet).

Up until now I have installed some core xorg packages and some apps i.e. xosview, mysql-admin and gnome-terminal which can be used remotely. At this point I haven't installed gdm or tried to start X via startx. After I sorted out some other problems that bit a little more deeper, I'll come back to this point.

personally i am trying to get a whole new video card
to go. preferably i am trying the atirage128 with 16mB
Video ram. it works great in macosX, seems to really
have been a bottle neck my old video card(s). should
work in linux but like i said i have so many items
to attend to.

hope some of this discussion would help at least
alleviate some discouragements.

Will work on that. Having a Linux server to test things is very nice. And if it's not a x86 is a little bit more "very nice" ;-)

Ralf