Re: Install 4.0 r0 "Etch" on IBM p5 510 inside LPAR

Hi All

On Thu, Apr 19 2007, at 23:08 +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 05:40:51PM +0200, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> > >
> > > This is the wrong list to handle installer related issues.
> >
> > Wrong. He tried a Debian install. And he tried it on powerpc. So he's
> > at the fully correct place here.
> >
> > It won't hurt to crosspost if we know there's a specific list for a
> > specific issue.
> >
> > But if I have to go for every specific problem - and all issues are
> > specific - to a specific list I'm sooner or later in an impossible
> > and non-manageable situation.
>
> Well, let's step into reality here, none of the debian-installer folk
> really follow this list, and when one year ago i forwarded a report of
> this kind to debian-boot, it set the events into motion which led to one
> year of flamewar and hate.

????

Sven, please: stick to the whole truth. They didn't kick you just for
different opinions on software matters. One reason they did that was
obviously the fact - if I'm not very much mistaken - that you were
threatening one person physically:

And under such circumstances, Sven, in nearly every professional
environment you would have had 5 minutes to pack. Maximum.

So if you really want to talk about history, tell us just the whole
truth. But I'd suggest - strongly suggest - to not stir up this old
stuff again. I believe we've had this story much too often on this
list. At least for my taste ...

> Installer related questions should be filled in the BTS, as installation
> reports, and failing that, posted to debian-boot.
>
> Furthermore, if it is a kernel issue, it is also best to post it to
> debian-kernel, or better yet to file a bug report against the kernel.
> The debian-installer folk will forward it to the right place already,
> which is why it is best to always file a bug report, instead of mailing
> on a list where the two most concerned group of people are not going to
> hear about it.

I don't doubt that there are other lists being much more appropriate
for certain issues than this one: But as there are, IINM, literally
hundreds of mailing-lists it is always a good idea to firstly address
- when it comes to powerpc related Debian issues - this precious, not
so little powerpc list ... :)

That was actually all I wanted to say in my previous posting: And
sorry if the words I chose ("Wrong.") weren't as polite as they could
have been ...

Best Regards
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

I made slight changes on Key ID: E3037113. Please refresh it.
http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on