Re: macmini G4 sound trouble

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007, David Conversi wrote:

> Sound worked perfectly on my macmini up to kernel
> 2.6.17 (ubuntu edgy). Now that ubuntu dropped the
> support for ppc, i installed debian etch RC2 but with
> the stock 2.6.18 kernel sound does not work anymore.
> I know from the errata of RC2 that there is a problem
> with snd-powermac, i googled a bit and i found this
> gentoo
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Apple_Mac_Minihow-to
> but it does not seem to work on debian, at least not
> in my hands :-)

I have a Mac Mini, and sound works flawlessly here. The system was
reinstalled from scratch four days ago:

# uname -a
Linux mac 2.6.18-4-powerpc #1 Mon Mar 26 09:11:14 CEST 2007 ppc GNU/Linux

I don't have any alsa-* packages installed.

What are you doing exactly to test sound?

Does installing oss-compat improve things? (It helped me in the past,
but apparently I don't need it anymore).