Re: Help needed with Powerbook G4

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but I keep running into the same problems that people have been going on about w.r.t Macs for years.  It's so damned expensive.  I can get a Core 2 Duo, 1 gig ram, 256MB dedicated VRAM ATI, 120 gig HDD Dell for the same price as the cheapest Macbook which uses Intel shared memory graphics .  How do Apple get away with it!  When you consider that the price of Powerbook G4s on eBay is the roughly the same as the Dell specs I quoted minus VAT (that I won't have to pay) it's a no-brainer really.  The thing Apple has going for it is ergonomics and those little touches.  Even this five year old iBook feels great to use for example.  I only became a PPC user by accident.  Now that Apple have gone over to Intel I don't see the point in getting one of their new machines (as opposed to any other X86/X86-64 machine) as I don't really care about OSX.  It's stable and fast but the interface is like some sort of pre-school kid's toy.

GNU/Linux on PPC is good, but other than kernel config options it's no different than any other architecture.  If I'm going to get a notebook to run GNU/Linux I suppose it makes sense to stick with X86(-64) hardware.  Also the Intel Wireless 3945 that comes with most Intel based notebooks works well....they've also got a new driver that doesn't need the binary userspace daemon.

Just thinking out loud really, feel free to beat me around the head metaphorically speaking if you take issue with anything I've said.

regards,

Ananda