Re: VLC playing nearly nothing

Hi, Børge

Thanks for responding ...

On Fri, Feb 16 2007, at 20:00 +0100, Børge Holen wrote:
> I never got the version of VLC you are using. Neither mplayer for that part.
>
> I rarely use VLC, but mplayer chews close to anything I throw at
> it.

True, but *here* it didn't eat the WMV3 files, that vlc knew to
handle, IIRC ..

> The latest versions got the wmv thing builtin.

You mean the powerpc build for mplayer? Playing wmv3 files? If yes:
Which version, where do you get it? As I already said, I believe I
have the latest version:

----------------------------
 dpkg -l | grep mplayer
ii  acidrip             0.14-0.0
rc  mplayer             1.0~rc1-3
ii  mplayer-g4          1.0-pre8-0.1
ii  mplayer-skin-blue   1.6-1
-------------------------------

My sources list: (with the lines commented out removed), via
cat /etc/apt/sources.list | grep -v ^#|grep [:alnum:]

[following slightly reformatted for better readability]:
deb file:/root debs/
deb-src file:/root debs/

deb http://honk.sigxcpu.org/linux-ppc/debian/ mplayer/
deb-src http://honk.sigxcpu.org/linux-ppc/debian/ mplayer/

deb http://mirror.switch.ch/ftp/mirror/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
deb-src http://mirror.switch.ch/ftp/mirror/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free

deb     http://www.lxtec.de/debarchiv   unstable main non-free
deb-src http://www.lxtec.de/debarchiv   unstable main non-free

deb http://snapshot.debian.net/archive pool vlc
deb-src http://snapshot.debian.net/archive pool vlc

deb http://snapshot.debian.net/archive pool ffmpeg
deb-src http://snapshot.debian.net/archive pool ffmpeg

deb http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/debian sid main
deb-src http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/debian sid main

-------------

> But in yer case it is
> hard to say since you did not submit any info.

Missing info on mplayer: Yes, because this is a report for a failing vlc.
As to vlc: what do you need to know additionally to what I already
wrote: I have the very latest unstable packages installed for vlc.

> This goes for both those players:
> For any playback witch is NOT 3ivx streaming, xanim, wm* and QT use
> libavcodec. As for the rest, use the respective codecs and builtin ones. And
> do remember to have the xv libs installed.

The dependencies for vlc, according to aptitude, are OK. (Except for a
missing suggested package, namely mozilla-plugin-vlc ...)

Are there specific xv libs you could recommend? Package names?

> VLC I just use in testcases or to show ppl the huge difference, and
> what media players SHOULD look like. GO MPLAYER =D
>

> > But a few days ago I realized it didn't play most files. No .avi,
> > .wma2,.wmv1, wmv2, wmv3.
>
> Avi is just another container, and not a real video codec.
>
> > Just .mpg seems to work without problems. So currently this player is
> > even less usable than xine or mplayer here.
>
> not true, xine is close to nonusable

My intention was definitely not to criticize the mplayer/xine folks. I
just want to get vlc back on its feet ..

As all vlc versions of the last few months that I tested the last few
days, do not seem to work here I do not believe that it's a vlc bug,
but instead one of a package it depends on ... simply because, forgive
me if I repeat myself, vlc used to work on nearly all file types, even
wmv3, just a few weeks ago ...

Again: I believe it's either a configuration issue, or another package
getting xlv on its knees ...

> > I'm getting messages like this when vlc fails to play a file
> > [following output was for an .avi file]:
> >
> > ---------------------------------------
> > main error: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `XVID'.
>
> Here it should use libavcodec, witch is the fastest/lightest decoder around
> just now. descent graphics to. You could use the xvid codec to decode, but it
> is heavier on the system to decode.

This is what I have:

-------------------------
ii  avifile-vorbis-plugin              0.7.38.20030710-1.2
ii  avifile-win32-plugin               0.7.38.20030710-1.2
ii  avifile-xvid-plugin                0.7.38.20030710-1.2
ii  libavahi-client3                   0.6.16-2
ii  libavahi-common-data               0.6.16-2
ii  libavahi-common3                   0.6.16-2
ii  libavahi-compat-howl0              0.6.16-2
ii  libavahi-compat-libdnssd1          0.6.16-2
ii  libavahi-core4                     0.6.16-2
ii  libavahi-glib1                     0.6.16-2
ii  libavahi-qt3-1                     0.6.16-2
ii  libavc1394-0                       0.5.3-1+b1
ii  libavcodec0d                       0.cvs20060823-6
ii  libavcodeccvs51                    20060814-0.1
ii  libavformat0d                      0.cvs20060823-6
ii  libavutilcvs49                     20060814-0.1

---------------------------

Anything missing I might need to get vlc working again?

 [ ... ]

> > Here's the current  ~/vlc/vlcrc:

 ... Sorry, I missed to say: " .. with the commented lines removed"
 .. IIRC ..

> > ------------------------------
> > [main] # main program
> > cd-audio=/dev/hdb
> > key-intf-hide=Shift-i
> > [mux_ts] # TS muxer (libdvbpsi)

Best Regards
Wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

I made slight changes on Key ID: E3037113. Please refresh it.
http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on