Re: NTP / RTC problem driving me absolutely INSANE!

It sounds like a timezone problem. It could be one or both of two things:

1) Your hardware CMOS clock is set to something other than UTC or local time. For Linux, it must be one or the other -- UTC is preferable.

In Linux as super-user, at the bash prompt type "(export TZ=UTC ; date ; clock)" (without the quotes, but with the parens). The three times it prints should be identical and equal to the present time in UTC. If, as seems likely, you're in GB and "Summer Time" is not in effect, then it should also be the same as your local time.

2) Either MacOS or Linux has the wrong timezone. My guess (assuming you're in GB) is that one or the other is set to BST, even though it is manifestly *not* summer in the Northern Hemisphere right now.

Hope that helps!

Rick