Re: G3 B/W fiber card blues

On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 10:57 -0600, Dan Page wrote:
> Hello.  I've just joined this list so I apologize if this issue has been
> addressed:
>
> I've installed Debian sarge on a Blue and white G3.  This box is planned
> to be used as a DNS resolver for our network. I got DJB DNS set up and
> working like a champ, my problem lies in the network card.  We use
> gigabit fiber for our core network and I chose this model because it has
> the 64 bit pci bus that most giga fiber cards use.  I installed a Intel
> gigabit card installed.  The e1000.0 module that this card requires  is
> present in the kernel but for some reason it doesn't load.  I don't know
> if its related but the drivers for the USB and Firewire don't load
> properly either.   here is an except from the dmesg log

USB has issues on the B&W G3 due to Apple using an old fairly broken
chip though I though it worked well enough for keyboard/mouse at
least ...

FireWire is a pcilynx chip (pretty much one of the only ones to use that
chip) and I don't think it's ever been properly tested on big endian.

In any case, you should try a newer kernel

Ben.