Re: performa 6400/200 - installation doesn't recognize cdrom

Hi,

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 11:59:11 -0800 (PST)
"Mr. Jan Hearthstone" <hearthstone11@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Are there any people who successfully installed Debian
> on 6400/200?

I did, some time ago, though, and on a 180MHz model, but it shouldn't
be that much different.

> I finally succeeded in booting using miboot floppies
> (no other kind worked), the drivers copy well, it'd
> seem, but the cdrom doesn't get recognized.

I had to use miboot floppies too at that time, and AFAIR the CDROM is a
SCSI model. It should be supported out of the box...

> Is there any particular cdrom I should download that
> would work?

> I cannot use net install, as I have only a phone
> jack--how hard would it be to get it replaced with an
> ethernet card? What should I get to replace the phone
> jack?

Those models have a special "ComSlotII" used to plug-in a modem (what
you currently have) or an Ethernet adapter. If you want to use this
slot, you'll need a special Ethernet card for it (and those probably
only exist in 10Mb/s versions), which you probably can find on Ebay or
similar. My advice would be to use a regular PCI Slot and a common (PC)
Ethernet adapter.

HTH,
Simon

--