Re: Nonsense at boot-time: "On battery power, so skipping file system check"

On Sat, Oct 14 2006, at 13:04 +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-10-13 at 18:46 +0200, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:

> > > Something weirder on PowerBook5,2 - unstable...
> > >

> > Eddy, Benjamin
> >
> > Looks like we have a problem :)
> >
> > I bet that both of you upgraded several packages on unstable in the
> > last few days - as I did - (or did do you that on a stable or testing
> > system?) - If not, lease let me know.
> >
> > In order to narrow down which package might be the offending one you
> > could do the following:
>
> It's a long standing kernel issue, not sure why you're only seeing it
> now.

Long standing? I didn't find this error on Google even one single
time. I've checked that a few times before I wrote my first mail in
this thread, IIRC ...

> Maybe the file system check just used to run regardless of AC or
> battery power?

At least I've noticed this the first times. I assume I would have seen
the error message much earlier if it actually were there. Simply
because I often have at least a glance at the fast running boot
messages when starting the system ... And seeing a fsck being skipped
would always have meant a red alert for me. I'd bet ... :)

BTW: After your message I checked my TiBookIV: Exactly the same kernel
(built on the alubook, IIRC) on it does not show the error messages about
skipping fsck because on battery power ... I've
just testet it:

The tibook is on AC, battery removed, and this is what it tells me:

$ cat /proc/pmu/info
PMU driver version     : 2
PMU firmware version   : 0c
AC Power               : 0
Battery count          : 1

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
cpu             : 7455, altivec supported
clock           : 867.000000MHz
revision        : 0.2 (pvr 8001 0302)
bogomips        : 86.18
timebase        : 33331323
platform        : PowerMac
machine         : PowerBook3,5
motherboard     : PowerBook3,5 MacRISC2 MacRISC Power Macintosh
detected as     : 80 (PowerBook Titanium IV)
pmac flags      : 0000001b
L2 cache        : 256K unified
pmac-generation : NewWorld

$ uname -a
Linux debby 2.6.18-rc4-060811-dirty #1 Fri Aug 11 00:16:22 CEST 2006 ppc GNU/Linux

grep -irs "battery power" /var/log/boot*
yields absolutely nothing on the tibook ...

And here's the alubook:

$ uname -a
Linux debby1-6 2.6.18-rc4-060811-dirty #1 Fri Aug 11 00:16:22 CEST 2006 ppc GNU/Linux

But the debian packages versions on both machines differ.

Does someone know about a kernel bug report about this? Actually I'd
think that no, provided Google is right and I didn't miss a search
pattern .. :)

BTW: Is there a way to force the fsck being done no matter whether the
machine is on battery or not? Without having to rewrite checkfs.sh and
checkroot.sh?

HTH

Regards
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

Key ID: E3037113
http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on