Re: Nonsense at boot-time: "On battery power, so skipping file system check"

On Fri, Oct 13 2006, at 15:47 +0300, Eddy Petri??or wrote:

> Benjamin Berg wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-12-10 at 21:44 +0200, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> Here: Powerbook5,8 - on unstable
> > same here.
>
> Something weirder on PowerBook5,2 - unstable...

Eddy, Benjamin

Looks like we have a problem :)

I bet that both of you upgraded several packages on unstable in the
last few days - as I did - (or did do you that on a stable or testing
system?) - If not, lease let me know.

In order to narrow down which package might be the offending one you
could do the following:

*** 1:

ls -lt -c /var/lib/dpkg/info/ | grep list |  cut -c 30- > update.txt

This should give you lines like this in 'update.txt':

 Oct 12 20:36 hdparm.list

If not, change '30-' to a different value.

Now put 'update.txt into an editor, remove the *complete* lines with
the older packages, installed/upgraded/removed(?)/ at a time which seems
irrelevant to the bug. Don't change anything else on the file.

*** 2:

Save the changed file.

*** 3:

Run this command on the changed file:

cut -c 14- update.txt |  less

You should find something like this:

 hdparm.list

*** 4:

If too much is cut in #3, change '14-' accordingly ..

If you find the output in #3 usable, save it with a usable '-c' value:
like:

cut -c 14- update.txt > cut.update.txt

*** 5

Put the list of the installed packages I posted in my first mail
[the one I created with
'ls -lt -c /var/lib/dpkg/info/ | grep list > update.list']
into an editor, save it, cut it with a command like
"cut -c 25- update.list | less"
.. change '25' to to a better value if the result is unusable. And
then save the output into a new file.

*** 6:

Run a diff between your own list from #4 and mine from #5, with
options that find  ¯identical¯ packages ("expressions") ... That way
we might be able to find the package causing the error.

Write here about what you find.

And, if you like: Post 'update.txt' from #1 here.

Or, if your memory is better than mine (should be very easy :) simply
have a look at the output from #1 and compare it with the packages
installed here (.. reading my first mail in this thread for this)

Please be aware of the fact that my scripting capabilities are those
of a casual user of such routines. ... So don't complain if your
refrigerator starts like jumping up and down after running the
commands above ... :)

And yes: Anyone with better ideas, to save us cumbersome procedures
like the ones above is extremely welcome ...

Thanks in anticipation

Regards
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

Key ID: E3037113
http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on