Re: G5 fan revving problems.

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 06:12:35PM +0100, Brian Durant wrote:
> On 20. jan 2006, at 16.50, Charles Plessy wrote:
>
> >On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 04:09:17PM +0100, Brian Durant wrote :
> >>Hi, I am new to the list. I joined manly because I was looking for a
> >>list that would have a PPC centric bent so that I could discuss
> >>problems I run into.  I have a 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5, running OS X Tiger
> >
> >Hi,
> >
> >Maybe this information is not precise enough... is it an iMac or a
> >PowerMac ? What does cat /proc/cpu says ?
>
> Power Mac G5.  The output was "no such file or directory".

/proc/cpuinfo

> >I have a iMac (8,1) on which had to recompile a debian 2.6.15
> >kernel in
> >order to enable the fan control.
> >
> >http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2006/01/msg00110.html
>
> No one has mentioned this on the ubuntu-users list yet. I am a
> newbie, so I would need help if I had to do this. First and foremost
> however, a kernel patch AFIK isn't possible when using a live-CD and
> I am unsure as to whether or not I can do a quick enough install to
> avoid any  potential damage with my fans revving.

Well, the ubuntu kernel is fully different from the debian kernel, and has
absolutely no relationship, except the occasional patch exchange, so ...

Fabbionne, when he was maintaining the ubuntu kernel used to talk to us, but
since maintainership changed for the ubuntu kernels, this is no more the case.

Friendly,

Sven Luther