Re: G5 fan revving problems.

On 20. jan 2006, at 16.50, Charles Plessy wrote:

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 04:09:17PM +0100, Brian Durant wrote :
Hi, I am new to the list. I joined manly because I was looking for a
list that would have a PPC centric bent so that I could discuss
problems I run into.  I have a 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5, running OS X Tiger

Hi,

Maybe this information is not precise enough... is it an iMac or a
PowerMac ? What does cat /proc/cpu says ?

Power Mac G5.  The output was "no such file or directory".

I have a iMac (8,1) on which had to recompile a debian 2.6.15 kernel in
order to enable the fan control.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2006/01/msg00110.html

No one has mentioned this on the ubuntu-users list yet. I am a newbie, so I would need help if I had to do this. First and foremost however, a kernel patch AFIK isn't possible when using a live-CD and I am unsure as to whether or not I can do a quick enough install to avoid any potential damage with my fans revving.

Cheers,

Brian