Re: bcm43xx finally working, with encryption too!!!

Hi Milan,

I am using Airport wireless card on an iBook 12" G4 and I have managed
to get bcm43xx driver working both with WEP and WPA, using the default
debian kernel. I downloaded the softmac-snapshot and bcm43xx snapshots
(Jan 15, 2006 snapshots) and compiled the ieee80211 modules from the
softmac-snapshot and use them instead of the ones in the
kernel. Giuseppe has a good summary of the procedure we followed to
get it working at http://www.fisica.unipa.it/~lavaget/ubuntuae/

I have found that iwlist scanning isn't very reliable. I sometimes
have to scan a couple of times before setting the essid using iwconfig
or wpa_supplicant. This brings me to my problem... I cannot get an IP
address using dhclient...

the procedure I follow is

modprobe ieee80211_crypt ieee80211 ieee80211_crypt_wep
ieee80211_crypt_ccmp ieee80211_crypt_tkip ieee80211softmac bcm43xx

ifconfig eth1 up
iwlist eth1 scan

dhclient eth1

When I run dhclient it seems to do an ifconfig eth1 down followed by
an ifconfig eth1 up, which means that the iwlist scan results are lost
and dhclient keeps searching for the dhcp server.

I found that if I let dhclient run on one console and run iwlist eth1
scan in another console then the dhclient immediately is able to get
an IP address. So my question is... is there any option that I can
pass to dhclient that will disable the up/down of interface if it is
already up? Can someone please help?

Shreyas.