Re: pbbuttonsd: call pbbcmd in power scripts

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 13:56:00 +0000 (UTC)
Joerg Sommer <joerg@alea.gnuu.de> wrote:

> I want to increase or decrease the backlight level upon plug in and
> unplug the power supply unit. I achieve this with a script in
> /etc/power/event.d/. But it seams the script hangs in the call of pbbcmd.
> Is this possible? If I enable the call I get a message "INFO: Script
> '/etc/power/pmcs-pbbuttonsd resume ac ram' lauched but killed after 6
> seconds". I tracked it down to the call of pbbcmd. So what might happen
> there?

It's a classic deadlock situation. Pbbuttonsd started the script which
started pbbcmd. pbbcmd sent a message to pbbuttonsd and waited for the
result, which won't come because pbbuttonsd waits for the script to
terminate.

But there is a solution :-) Call pbbcmd with option '-i' and it will
immedately return without waiting for a receipt or an error code. The
script will terminate in time and pbbuttonsd process the formerly sent
message.

 Best Regards
   Matthias