Re: Poll: debian/powerpc woody users ...

Hi, Ernest.

On Jan 06 2006, Ernest Demaret wrote:
> Op 6-jan-2006, om 3:46 heeft Rogério Brito het volgende geschreven:
> >Humm? That's quite strange, I'd say. Which expansion cards do you
> >actually have (if you do have one)?
>
> None whatsoever. It's an original.

Ok. So, you only have a video card in one of the slots? Would you like
to experiment with the kernel that I've been using?

> I read somewhere that there was a slight change in the 2.4 kernel in
> opposite to the 2.2 kernel that caused this machine to crash. That's
> all I know.

Really funny, because, AFAIK, the machines we have are quite similar and
mine works well.

> >The only two problems that I have with this PowerMac that I inherited
> >are:
> >
> >1 - its disk is quite slow (with a maximum rate of about 2MB/s);
>
> Fast enough for his tasks. It's just generating html out of a GeneWeb
> database.

I didn't say that your box had problems. I just said that it was slow
for some of my tasks (like encoding MPEG 2 files for DVDs).

> >2 - it doesn't have much memory and even Linux programs are getting
> >    bigger all the time. :-(
>
> It's dedicated to one task only so it doesn't need so much memory.

Right.

> I'd like to run a higher kernel though. It's more secure...

Indeed. Vulnerabilities are being found all the time in the latest
kernels and using a really ancient one is a bad thing, especially
depending on the circumstances how the computer is installed.

Regards, Rogério.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/