Re: Poll: debian/powerpc woody users ...

Hi, Ernest.

On Jan 05 2006, Ernest Demaret wrote:
> In that case it might be interesting to mention that I still have a
> machine (PCI) running on a 2.2.20 kernel since that's the highest
> version that can run the PowerMac 9500/200.

Humm? That's quite strange, I'd say. Which expansion cards do you
actually have (if you do have one)?

I have a PowerMac 9500/180MP that I used to run in SMP mode for quite
some time with 2.4 kernels (I was always using the bleeding-edge kernels
from BenH's tree) and now that I put a G3 upgrade card, I have it
running some quite recent kernels (right now, I'm using a home-made
2.6.14.5, because I have not had time to compile anything newer, due to
real-life commitments).

> Never found out why a higher version doesn't work.

Really strange.

> Pity though. This machine is fast enough for the work I give it. When
> I find the time I'll try one of the newer kernels on that machine.

I'd say that more recent kernels are indeed a better choice, given the
improved features. The only two problems that I have with this PowerMac
that I inherited are:

1 - its disk is quite slow (with a maximum rate of about 2MB/s);
2 - it doesn't have much memory and even Linux programs are getting
    bigger all the time. :-(

Regards,

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/