Re: Debian on ibook

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 09:40:20 +0100, Murk wrote:

> 1) Keyboard mapping. I have a UK mac keyboard on the ibook. How would I
> select this? (the keyboard doesn't seem to have a tilde character, which
> is pretty important!) Is there a relatively easy way to configure my own
> mapping?

In X, "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" should do the trick.

> 2) Running gnome. I have got close, ish. I have had red crosses on the
> screen, some grey boxes with lines on... mostly things that look like TV
> test signals. I have had to ssh into the machine to recover things too. No
> joy. There were a set of questions about chipsets, bus settings, monitor
> refresh rates.... I do not know how to answer these. I would not have
> known how to get this info even under OS9.

Again, badly configure X server. You should try to understand which
hardware lies under the white plastic :)
Try with "lspci -v" and if you have no clue on interpreting it post it in
the list.

> 3) then there are relatively minor issues like the sound, and configuring
> power options (e.g. what pushing the power button does, and the throbbing
> LED behind the power button.

For sound, install alsa-related packages and then issue "alsaconf". Power
management is taken care of by pbbuttonsd.

> 4) I would like to give specific users (not all users) the ability to
> power off without being root.

For that you have to install sudo and configure it correctly. Otherwise,
create a group called "shutdown" and add to this group the users you want
to give shutdown privileges, then chown /sbin/shutdown to root:shutdown.

Have fun!

--
Best Regards, Jack
Linux User #264449