Debian on ibook

I have a four(ish) year old ibook sitting on my desk. It was doing nothing so I though 'let's give debian a whirl'.

I have it to a terminal prompt, can ssh out and things such as that, but I am having a few difficulties, which I would appreciate some help with:

Am a linux/debian newbug, so please don't assume anything!

Order of criticality: 2, 1, 4, 3.

1) Keyboard mapping. I have a UK mac keyboard on the ibook. How would I select this? (the keyboard doesn't seem to have a tilde character, which is pretty important!) Is there a relatively easy way to configure my own mapping?

2) Running gnome. I have got close, ish. I have had red crosses on the screen, some grey boxes with lines on... mostly things that look like TV test signals. I have had to ssh into the machine to recover things too. No joy. There were a set of questions about chipsets, bus settings, monitor refresh rates.... I do not know how to answer these. I would not have known how to get this info even under OS9.

3) then there are relatively minor issues like the sound, and configuring power options (e.g. what pushing the power button does, and the throbbing LED behind the power button.

4) I would like to give specific users (not all users) the ability to power off without being root.

My backup plan is to move to OSX, I was on OS9, but I'd really like to get debian going as a learning tool.

Help gratefully received.