Re: your mail

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006, Rick Thomas wrote:

> 	There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon
> 	Some things such as themes, sounds, or background settings, may not
> work correctly.
> 		The Settings Daemon restarted too many times
>
> 	The last error message was:
> 		System Exception:IDL:Bonobo/GeneralError:1.0:
> 		Child process did not give an error message,
> 		unknown failure occurred.
> 		Gnome will try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you
> login.
> 						[close]
>
> When I click [close] the wiggling stops and everything is (as far as I can
> tell) normal until I log out
> and try to login again.

The fact that after closing this window the machine behaves normally
again, seems to suggest, that that's where you should search for the
problem. Try to find out what the Settings Daemon does, maybe try to start
it manually under strace and see where it fails? Or just starting it in
the foreground might give some output on the terminal, look for verbouse
or debugging mode. Or follow the advises above - try to select another
theme, see if your sound works, etc.

Don't have any etch with X here, so, cannot verify myself.

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski