Re: ports, big and small, two questions

On Dec 26, 2006, at 3:55 AM, brian wrote:

1) has anyone ran or heard of running debian
on the *original* g3 powerbook, aka 3500/kanga ?
(any version, say at least 2.2 kernel/potato or later)

   i have been playing with one i can't get it to
boot right, and searching googles i have mostly seem
dead ends of people with trouble, no real followups,

except for maybe yellowdog, which lead to my next q.

2) has anyone work or interest or heard any plans to
port to playstation3, or even some cell-ppc of some
kind ?

if you haven't looked at yellow dog site lately you
might,
see where $$$ sponsorship and prof porting is going
lately.

if you do have a look consider there saying "good
riddance" to apple, except may be continue to support
previous ppc apple.

Hi Brian,

(1) On the g3 powerbook, it's likely to be a question of RAM and hard disk size.

You'll probably need to use BootX from within MacOS-9 as a boot loader. Though the miboot floppys (at http://people.debian.org/ ~wouter/d-i/powerpc-miboot/ ) may be able to get it started. After installation, you can either use quik as the bootloader or MacOS-9 with BootX, depending on (a) your tolerance for the vagaries of OldWorld Macs Open Firmware, and (b) whether you can stand to have MacOS-9 around.

The OldWorld machines don't boot from the Debian CDs. Their Open Firmware isn't up to the task.

(2) Yellowdog is mostly interested in the supercomputer market. They've already dropped support for OldWorld Macs, and I suspect that they will support NewWorld Macs only as long as it's easy to do, given their direction. The PS3 port was an eye-catching way to leverage their way into the Cell processor market while it's still early in the game, but it's not their real goal.

I'll make a couple of NewYear's predictions: (1) Debian will not support OldWorld Macs in Lenny. (2) Debian will not support even NewWorld Macs beyond Lenny.

Rick