Re: A few questions from an iMac G5 user...

Hi Ben (and Charles),

Thanks for your replies!

There is currently no sleep support for G5s.... Suspend To Disk should
be doable without too much pain though I didn't have time to do anything
about it, I remember some patches were posted at one point doing at
least part of the job.

These are patches to the kernel? Do you know where I could find those?

2) Is it a good idea to enable ESD? I was having a few system freezes
when using multiple multimedia players (Totem Xine, Rhythmbox and
VLC), and have since enabled esd (and installed gstreamer-esd and
vlc-esd). Things seem to be fine, but I'm not really sure what is an
ideal sound setup.

System freeze ? Or just application blocking because another one is
using the driver ?

Well, not quite a system freeze. The music would continue playing, and the mouse would move, but no windows would be selectable, and no keyboard commands would do anything. Forcing-quitting x-windows was non-responsive, and I couldn't shift into another terminal space either. This problem was repeatable, but not consistently so. In any case, ESD hasn't done this to me yet (but I haven't pushed it too far either), but I still am unsure what the best sound setup is, and whether I should be letting sound go straight through to ALSA and (presumably) hardware mixing.

Yes, there is a magic register and indeed, it looks like the value set
in there by nvidiafb might be slightly lower than what OS X does on this
machine....

Great! So I'm not crazy! ;) Is this user-configurable? Which conf file should I be editing?

Weird, they might have changes something... I had no problem last time I
d/l the IBM Java. That's the best option at the moment. Now that Sun
Java is GPL, there is hope to have more options available though.

I know, it is weird. Last time I checked the US hadn't put any trade sanctions on New Zealand!!

Thanks,
Torrance