A few questions from an iMac G5 user...

Hi all,

I have a few questions about running Debian PPC on my iMac G5 (rev A). I have recently switched from Ubuntu after learning that their ppc distro was in question and I'm settling in fine, but have a few queries:

1) Is it possible to enable either sleep or suspend functions for the iMac G5? I am currently running the 2.6.19 kernel, but I don't have the slightest clue how to enable suspend or sleep. These functions never worked in Ubuntu. Is this possible?

2) Is it a good idea to enable ESD? I was having a few system freezes when using multiple multimedia players (Totem Xine, Rhythmbox and VLC), and have since enabled esd (and installed gstreamer-esd and vlc-esd). Things seem to be fine, but I'm not really sure what is an ideal sound setup.

3) How do I install java for running, eg. internet java applets? In Ubuntu we had to download from an IBM site. Currently, that site requires registration and even then told me that export laws (or something) would mean the download would be reviewed and I'd be notified when it was available. Of course, this never happened. So how else do ppc users get java installed? Alternatively, how long will it be before we see Adobe's recently released source code making its way into sid?

4) Is it possible to brighten the screen on an iMac G5. It looks darker and duller than OS X, but besides altering the gamma settings, there seems no way to brighten the screen.

Cheers,
Torrance