Re: Install Etch on G4 server with RAID1

On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 04:22:20PM +0100, Frédéric Massot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I install Debian with the installer Etch RC1 on a G4 server having two
> hard disks, the system and the swap will be on partitions in software RAID1.

I did the exact same thing on an apple XServe G5, and was trying to write a
howto describing it, but didn't come to it yet.

> I used this trick for the RAID part :
>
> - Firstly, do the NewWorld partitions have to be on the RAID1 or not?

Well, technically, you could set the whole disk as RAID1, and install into
partitions inside the RAID1 thingy (/dev/md0p1 and so on), but this is not
working.

It seems that mac partitions can have only one flag in parted, so it is not
possibly to put a raid1 partition for the newworld boot partition.

So, the tactic is to do as follow :

make two identical partition tables as follows :

  hd*1 APPLE		32.3 kB
  hd*2 NewWorld 	1MB	boot
  hd*3 RAID_boot 	200MB	raid
  hd*4 RAID_LVM 	<rest-of-disk>	raid

Then, you create a RAID1 device on hd*3 and on hd*4, then you put a filesystem
on hd*3 and mount it as /boot, and use hd*4 to create an LVM on it.

You can then create as many partitions as you want on top of the LVM. It is
recomended to use ext3 this way, because you can grow it online and offline,
and shrink it offline, which none of the other filesystem can.

Before you reboot, you go again into the second console, and :

edit /etc/yaboot.conf, and take out the device= entry. This is not needed, as
OF provide the right device in chosen/bootpath.  If you do an LVM install as
above, you need to replace the partition= LVM path by 3.

Then you do a ybin, followed my mkofboot -b /dev/hdb2 to install a secon
yaboot onto the second disk.

Ideally ybin should be modified to put more than one device in boot=, so a
single yaboot invocation will do the right thing, and this hack not be needed
anymore.

Once you have done this, you can boot on each of the disk with the other being
removed. You cannot though change the disk location due to a bug in ofboot,
the first level of yaboot. It seems that grub2 doesn't have this limitation
though.

> For this installation, I parted the two discs like this :
>
> hda1 APPLE    32.3 kB
> hda2 NewWorld 5 MB
> hda3 RAID     79 GB
> hda4 RAID     1GB
>
> hdb1 APPLE    32.3 kB
> hdb2 NewWorld 5 MB
> hdb3 RAID     79 GB
> hdb4 RAID     1GB
>
> md0 --> RAID1 (hda3 + hdb3) --> EXT3 for root
> md1 --> RAID1 (hda4 + hdb4) --> SWAP

Try LVM, but you need a separate /boot on RAID1 to boot.

> The big problem, it is that with the first reboot Yaboot did not find
> the kernel. The installation is finished but Yaboot is badly configured.

Hehe. One trick is to recompile yaboot with debug mode, and see what exactly
it does.

> - Below the configuration of Yaboot, which is what is incorrect?
>
> boot=/dev/hda2
> partition=0

This one is supsisious. you should change it by 3 in your setup.

> root=/dev/md0
> timeout=50
> install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
> magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
> enablecdboot
>
> image=/boot/vmlinux
>         label=Linux
>         read-only
>         initrd=/boot/initrd.img
>
> image=/boot/vmlinux.old
>         label=old
>         read-only
>         initrd=/boot/initrd.img.old
>

> According to me partition should be : partition=2 ?

Nope, partition should be where the image is found, either the separate /boot
or your / partition, thus 3.

Friendly,

Sven Luther