Re: beige g3 & debian ppc

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 08:40:17AM +0100, Hans Ekbrand wrote:
> > > The beige g3 is an oldworld machine, so you would need to boot using either
> > > bootx and the vmlinux/initrd.gz from the cd, or use the miboot floppies on it.
> >
> > Hmpf, I think I have something else to solve first it seems: it now
> > gives a lowres picture with a floppydisk with a questionmark in it. It
> > also keeps on restarting the harddisk.
>
> That means it cannot boot from the harddisk, but is waiting for you to
> insert i bootable floppy, such as the miboot floppies mentioned by
> Sven above.
>
> The status of the miboot floppies seems to be unstable. Your best bet
> is probably to first try with the most recent ones, and if they don't
> work go backwards.
>
> Images are available here:
>
> http://people.debian.org/~wouter/d-i/powerpc-miboot/

Notice that Holger did apparently succeed on a beige g3 both with the netinst
and the graphical installer, but he gave no hint on what he actually did to
achieve that, nor if he used the new 2.6.18 based kernels. My guess would be
that he used bootx though i am waiting for him to give details.

Friendly,

Sven Luther