Help needed with Alsa

Hi,

I'm still having trouble with getting Alsa to work. I am using gnome/debian on an iBook G3 900mhz 640MB RAM computer. Basically, whenever I boot up, I get this error when clicking on the volume icon:

"The volume control did not find any elements and/or devices to control. This means either that you don't have the right GStreamer plugins installed, or that you don't have a sound card configured. You can remove the volume control from the panel by right-clicking the speaker icon on the panel and selecting "Remove From Panel" from the menu."

and then this:

"No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found."

I have run Alsaconf, selecting the powermac card, and answering YES to editing the files /etc/modprobe.d/sound and /etc/modprobe.conf and this gives me sound. But the volume icon still has a red cross next to it unless I logout and then back in again. However, I have to do all this everytime I boot - how can I save these settings permanently?

Many thanks for any help...

James

PS: The volume icon has now disappeared from the system tray/notification area - I can only put it back to the panel, not the system tray. How can I reinstate it to the system tray?