Volume Control Error

Hi,
I finally successfully installed Debian on my ibook G3! :)
However, the sound isn't working... when I click the volume control icon, I get this message: Error The volume control did not find any elements and/or devices to control. This means either that you don't have the right GStreamer plugins installed, or that you don't have a sound card configured. You can remove the volume control from the panel by right-clicking the speaker icon on the panel and selecting "Remove From Panel" from the menu. Can anyone help me resolve this? thanks James