Re: Is now a good time to revisit kernel booting on OldWorld PowerMac

http://kernel-archive.buildserver.net/debian-kernel/pool/main/l/linux-2.6/

http://people.debian.org/~luther/linux-image-2.6.18-rc7-powerpc_2.6.17+2.6.18-rc7-0experimental.1_powerpc.deb

> Or wait for tomorrows snapshot which include the
> fix.

this one boots my beige (G3 3/98 rev b, 192RAM, ... )
straight into
sarge (ready for upgrade, i guess). i ran top and let
it idle a few
minutes and watched the buffer/cache go up. it wanted
about
40 MB to idle and 80 more for the b/c. i started
aptitude , it starts
fast and took 8MB. so as far as i could tell w/out
upgrading, it is fine.

no help for the powerbook (603ev 2/97, 80RAM) though.
hmmm.

(i used the 3400 to make the ram disk and copied it
over via applenet)

mixed on this. i actually have a task for the beige i
got last week, so
something good there.  still i find typing with the
newer laptops very tough
on my hands (old keyboard = much better ergonomics for
me).

brian