Re: grub2 on powerpc

On Sun, Sep 17, 2006 at 11:24:41AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 17, 2006 at 11:16:46AM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:

> > > I think powerpc support might be a bit premature.  The powerpc code
> > > upstream is a bit lagging compared with i386/amd64, and depends on
> > > tools not in Debian.  For example, changed to the i386 shell scripts
> > > have not been made to the corresponding powerpc scripts; this really
> > > needs to be made into common code, to avoid this needless effort.  The
> > > same also applies to some of the C source.  It's not a great deal of
> > > work to fix these issues, but I am currently lacking sufficient time
> > > to do it myself.
> > >
> > > This may be outdated though--I haven't checked out grub2 for a couple
> > > of months, so it may have already been rectified.
> >
> > This is strange.  I know one of the core grub2 maintainers is using powerpc
> > regularly (with code from CVS).
> >
> > As for tools not in Debian, you mean ofpathname?  Is the grub2 debian package
> > usable at all without ofpathname? (I understand that at least grub-install
> > won't work, making d-i support impossible).
>
> ofpathname is part of the ibm-powerpc-utils package (not the same as the
> package currently in debian), and Aurelien Gerome is packaging it, since
> yaboot also needs it over the kind-of-broken ofpath found in the yaboot code,
> so this should be less an issue than you think.

Is grub2 usable without it?  If it's not, we'd rather remove powerpc from the
arch list for now.  We don't want to provide a broken build do we? :)

--
Robert Millan

My spam trap is honeypot@aybabtu.com.  Note: this address is only intended for
spam harvesters.  Writing to it will get you added to my black list.