quik freeze? (beige g3, woody)

Dear all,

I have a beige G3 with no MacOS. I've installed Woody (kernel=2.2.20) on
it, because I could never get the Sarge floppies to boot. The open
firmware is 2.0f1 and, after applying the system disk patches and setting
the boot-device, I get the black boot screen with the penguin in the upper
left.

Unfortunately, this screen just sits there. It appears with all info
already on it. After some stuff about the memory and TCPIP, it gives some
lines about what I assume is the framebuffer, and then nothing.

I don't know if it's frozen, or if it's unable to find the kernel. If it's
the kernel, I've set both the boot-file env and applied changes to quik in
a chroot. If it's frozen, could it be a framebuffer problem? I only ask
because the last info that appears is about that. I think it is, anyway.
Here are the last few lines (copied by hand, so there might be a typo or
two):

atyfb: 3D RAGE PRO (BGA, PCI) [0x4749 rev 0x7c] 4M SGRAM,
	14.31818 MHz XTAL, 230 MHz PLL, 100 Mhz MCLK
BUS_CNTL DAC_CNTL MEM_CNTL EXT_MEM_CNTL CRTC_GEN_CNTL DSP_CONFIG DSP_ON_OFF
7b23a040 86010182 00341577 35100c01     03000200     005a042a
	004203e2
PLL ad d5 14 14 2b 03 80 fd 8e 9e 29 01 a6 00 00 00

The indentations are my carriage returns. Don't know how meaningful any of
that is. Anyway, any input would be welcome. After finally getting quik to
do something, I'd hate to have to stop now.

Thanks,
Jesse