Re: can not switch to virtual terminal since upgrading kernel and gdm

On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 04:29:51PM +0200, Christoph Ewering wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am running an old G4/400 with a usb keyboard for testing reason
> with the current kernel (2.6.17.11 from kernel.org). I do not know
> when it happend but I am not able to switch to a virtual terminal
> anymore.
> If I remember right , I could switch with (CTRL+Option+F1) to vt1

Since upgrading my xorg packages some months ago I can switch from X
to a console only with a "SHIFT-F(X)".
This seems to be a known problem:

" "Xorg69To7 [ ... ]
  "Ctrl-Alt-Function keys not working"

"If Ctrl-Alt-Function keys stop working, try removing the keyboard
variant option from xorg.conf if it's there. (option "XkbVariant")
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and leave the keyboard variant field
empty.

If this doesn't work, chvt 1 from a root shell will.":

http://wiki.debian.org/Xorg69To7#head-1712bce53337ef2d01166bb3e0652f90bf70310e

I haven't tried the proposed solution as removing the keyb. variant
does not seem to be a very promising solution ...

[Update, a few minutes later:] I just tried that solution, and it seems
to work here on a Powerbook5,8

I didn't do a "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" but instead simply changed my
xorg.conf and restarted the X server at the KDM[/KDE ?] login screen ..

Here's the relevant part of my latest xorg.conf

------------------------------

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
	Driver		"kbd"
	Option		"CoreKeyboard"
	Option		"XkbRules"	"xorg"
	Option		"XkbModel"	"macintosh"
	Option		"XkbLayout"	"de"
#	Option		"XkbVariant"	"nodeadkeys"
	Option		"XkbOptions"	"lv3:lwin_switch"
EndSection

---------------------

Please note the comment on the XkbVariant line.

But I have to admit I load my own ~/.xmodmap when logging in to KDE
[KDM], so I haven't tested how the proposed solution works if you rely
on the xkb/xorg packages to set up your X-keyboard correctly.

> with kernel <=2.6.17.8. But with kernel 2.6.17.11 and 2.6.17.9 this
> is not possible any more.
>
> Maybe it is not a kernel problem, i am running gdm and i upgrade gdm
> in the same timeslot. So maybe gdm overwrote a config-parameter?
>
> Every help is welcome, bye,
> Christoph
>
> P.S. I found some articles in the list with a related problem - this
> was solved by creating /dev/adb and to check with "fnset -u" , well
> here it is:
>
> g4linux:/usr/src/linux# fnset -u

If fnset says this:

> fnset: write(): No such device or address
> fnset: write(): No such device or address
> Failed to find device

... then I don't understand that:

> g4linux:/usr/src/linux# ls -l /dev/adb
> crw-rw---- 1 root root 56, 0 2004-07-22 23:43 /dev/adb

The help message for "fnset -u" doesn't seem to explain too much for
those who do not already what it's all about, so as I'm not willing to
leave the fate of my fn keys to some unknown options I did (and got)
this:

# /sbin/fnset
unknown PMU version 17

I have this:

$  zgrep ADB /proc/config.gz
CONFIG_ADB=y
# CONFIG_ADB_CUDA is not set
CONFIG_ADB_PMU=y
CONFIG_ADB_PMU_LED=y
CONFIG_ADB_PMU_LED_IDE=y
CONFIG_ADB_MACIO=y
CONFIG_INPUT_ADBHID=y

$ ls -l /dev/adb
crw-rw---- 1 root root 56, 0 Aug 29 12:44 /dev/adb

Anyone

--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

Key ID: E3037113
http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on