Re: can not switch to virtual terminal since upgrading kernel and gdm

On 8/29/06, Christoph Ewering <eweri@cunde.de> wrote:
I am running an old G4/400 with a usb keyboard for testing reason
with the current kernel (2.6.17.11 from kernel.org). I do not know
when it happend but I am not able to switch to a virtual terminal
anymore.
If I remember right , I could switch with (CTRL+Option+F1) to vt1
with kernel <=2.6.17.8. But with kernel 2.6.17.11 and 2.6.17.9 this
is not possible any more.

Maybe it is not a kernel problem, i am running gdm and i upgrade gdm
in the same timeslot. So maybe gdm overwrote a config-parameter?

I have had the same problem -- with ubuntu breezy running gdm 2.8.0.5,
xorg version 6.8.2 kernel version 2.6.12-10-powerpc something between
xorg and gdm will "eat" the keystrokes before they get to the kernel.

I have not been successful in tracking it down -- it affects my 1998
PowerBook G3 Series (AKA Wallstreet II or PDQ), but the solutions
posted on this list late last year (mostly having to do with keymaps
and other tricks in xorg) have not fixed it for me. Oh, and of course
I'm not using a USB keyboard here -- it's the built-in ADB keyboard.

The VTs work from the keyboard until gdm starts, so it could be gdm
itself or some problem with xorg. My workaround is to open a term
window and use the chvt command, but of course that's no good if gdm
or X is hung.

I would think if this were a common problem lots of folks would be
complaining, so maybe you're right that it affects folks who upgrade
from earlier versions and NOT on "clean" installations. You might try
moving the gdm and xorg configs elsewhere and do a fresh installation
of the packages... I've tried that numerous times with xorg but now
that I think of it I've never done it with gdm.