Re: wmv3 on powerpc(and all)

On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 11:17:00PM +0200, Bin Zhang wrote:
> On 8/15/06, You <linux_user@cogeco.ca> wrote:
> >On Sat, Aug 12, 2006 at 08:24:31AM +0200, Bin Zhang scribbled this
> >nonsense:
> >>
> >> If you want see wmv3 file without w32codecs, now you can.
> >>
> >> http://code.google.com/soc/ffmpeg/appinfo.html?csaid=5AA777DB19E2BB24
> >> http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2006-August/013521.html
> >>
> >http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=29074592&forum_id=7131
> >>
> >> I've tested mplayer svn with some wmv3 on my testing/unstable, it works
> >> fine.
> >
> >Are there w32codecs for mplayer on PPC?   I had considered installing
> >mplayer on one of my PowerMacs, but without
> >the ability to play WMV files, it hardly seems worthwhile.
>
> No.
> With FFmpeg VC-1 codecs, we don't need w32codecs.
> See  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VC-1

Umm, that's not entirely correct.

While Win32 do not work on PPC there are binary codec packages for PPC.
They contain .so files that allow playing some RealVideo and RealAudio
and Indeo codecs for which free software decoders do not yet exist.

You can get the packages from

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/codecs.html

And yes, WMV3 should work with current MPlayer Subversion snapshots.
However, the decoder is not finished and does not support advanced
profiles or B-frames yet.  Hopefully it will by the end of the year.

Diego