Upgrade to Debian testing

I have just upgraded from Stable to Testing on my PowerMac 9500/150.   I
have a couple of problems that I would like to solicit some advice on.
I am still a relative newbie to Linux, and would like some direction on
the following:

First, I get the following messages when attempting to begin a session
on the console or via Telnet.   Secure shell sessions do not produce
these messages.  The messages are as follows:

configuration error - unknown item 'FAIL_DELAY' (notify administrator)
configuration error - unknown item 'QUOTAS_ENAB' (notify administrator)
configuration error - unknown item 'NOLOGIN_STR' (notify administrator)
configuration error - unknown item 'ENV_HZ' (notify administrator)
configuration error - unknown item 'PASS_MAX_LEN' (notify administrator)
configuration error - unknown item 'CHFN_AUTH' (notify administrator)
configuration error - unknown item 'CLOSE_SESSIONS' (notify
administrator)

Anybody have any idea what all of this stuff is about?   Or where I need
to go to fix it?

Second, migrating from Stable to Testing means a migration from Xfree to
Xorg.   Xfree used to work perfectly with Debian Stable, but Xorg and
Testing produce rather undesireable effects.  Most notably, the X
session only displays on the left half of the screen.   Everything is
readable and usable, but the colors are a little off, and the display
appears somewhat squished.

I am using a 2.6.8 kernel.  My video card is an older ATI Mach 64 PCI
card, and I'm just using an old Apple monitor with a fixed resolution of
640 x 480.

I've tried a dpkg-reconfigure of Xorg, and have tried both the kernel
framebuffer and the ATI drivers.   Both produce identical effects.  I'm
totally new to Testing, Xorg, and distribution upgrades.

I did the upgrade by changing APT sources.list to testing and doing the
apt-get dist-upgrade voodoo thing.  Any and all help, guidance, and/or
suggestions will be greatly welcome and appreciated.

Thanks.

--
If I don't think sex is fun, you're not doing it right.
If you're not doing it right, sex isn't fun.