Re: booting the install on the H50

On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 04:23:34PM +0300, AlexB wrote:

> >On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 12:34:21PM +0300, AlexB wrote:
> >> On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 19:20:09 +0200, dtutty@porchlight.ca wrote:
>
> RS6000 machines can boot off floppy (at least instructions exists if you google
> through), but I never tried that myself.
>

> >Since we know that we want to run /install/powerpc/vmlinux, couldn't
> >this be booted directly with:
> >
> >	boot cd (or whatever the devalias is):,\install\powerpc\vmlinux
> >	?
> I have tried that first, before I did a modified CD, it worked up to the point
> where linux kernel was not able to mount root. At least, kernel did load.
>

> >To summarize the two issues with the current disk:
> >
> >	OF uses cdrom not cd devalias
> >
> >	yaboot needs yaboot.conf in /etc not /install
> yes, you are completely right. I can only add that for OF to start yaboot
> automatically, you have to have this \ppc\bootinfo.txt file on your CD, too.
>

> After all, you can ask vendor (if it's possible) to download 'unstable' netboot
> CD version of Debian, burn it and start it straight away - it worked for me.

Thanks,

And I did receive your direct email, thank you.  The vendor isn't a
linux person, I don' know if he uses AIX.  I'll see if his tech can try
the manual OF boot of the kernel.  If all's well, then I'll save
modifying the CD for my own tinkering.

I know that OF can boot from floppy, but the kernels on the CD are
bigger than a floppy.

I havn't been able to find an IBM-specific OF reference; I have a
generic OF quick-reference sheet.  Is there any way to embed kernel
paramaters (with / and spaces) within an OF boot arguments line?  I
don't know forth and don't do well with cryptic languages.

Thanks,

Doug.