Re: ibook + USB hard drive = yaboot failure

I seem to have solved my own problem after extensive investigation.  My iBook
G4 now can boot Debian from a USB hard drive, leaving the internal drive
(with OSX) untouched.

I followed the instructions here:
http://www.orawski.com/~timon/debianppc-usb/

... and then I used the information on this page:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060301112336384

Specifically, I issued the command "setenv boot-device ud:2,\\:tbxi" in
openfirmware.  It seems that I now have to do that every time I want to boot
Debian from the USB drive.  Even though the variable is persistent, the
system just won't boot unless I re-issue that command followed by "mac-boot".
Does anyone know why?  If I start the system while holding "option", the USB
drive does not show up.

Thanks,
Michael