G5 single (PowerMac 9.1) status.

I have been looking through the Ubuntu forums of late and it seems like the problems that have dogged iMac G5 and G5 single users (thermal control and sound) are still there in Dapper. As it seems that the only work around for the issues with the CD drivers (Sarge PPC) and USB keyboard (Etch PPC) were to try to create a vanilla Debian PPC (non 64 bit) memory stick install, I opted for installing Ubuntu PPC Breezy. Having sorted the yaboot issue, I have the following issues to consider:

1) Sound support. The solution seems to be to do the following:

mv /dir1/dir2/artsd /dir1dir2/backartsd

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find artsd on my Breezy install, when booting from a Dapper desktop (live) CD.I have tried with the following:

sudo mkdir /mnt/linux
sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/sda3 /mnt/linux

Then, I have tried browsing though the install folders to find artsd, but no luck :-( Where does artsd reside?

2) Thermal control issue.

I was thinking of trying a Dapper kernel, but keeping the rest of the system in Breezy for now. Is that called backporting? How do I do that? If that wouldn't work I would try a kernel at http://www.ppckernel.org/kernel.php?id=74 Interestingly, I see that there is no official 2.4 or 2.6 G5 kernel build using g5_defconfig available at:

http://www.ppckernel.org/specialized.php?category=pmac

Weird. Anyway, I would appreciate help with either of the two above issues, so I can actually get a Debian based system up and running.

Cheers,

Brian