Re: panics on powerbook3400 & misc problems

ok, i can take a few hints here.

one i can/ should cold boot the 3400 - easy enough
for the time being (more hassle no sleep). [sorry
about
my attachment to the old macos, totally non-free, but
non-commercial anyway, these days; could be just like
this is extension conflict bootx with tablet
driver or speech-to-text. Sorry.]

anyway, assuming cold start really stops it, otherwise
probably
there could be something worse wrong. anyway i use
everyday so l will try and see.

2) i have just now check my logs i don't see any thing
noted about
the boot panics, even though apparently the hd (ide)
was
mounted. so no help there.

3)perhaps i have been lazy or at least a bit impatient
to be
doing some "real work",  i need to spend some time
studying
modules and kernel tweaks.

is true i think i could move the scsci module loading
up
earlier, which may need to boot from an external
drive,
i need to check but don't i have to load the module
into
the ramdisk or something. btw is it any help to
increase
the ramdisk size really (that is in bootx window).

in my attempt to copy the hd here into the beige g3
(so to see any of my issues changed)
get with my sort of kludge install -- i got my
internal scsci but
not the external i wanted to copy from.  noted on the
list here recently an item about installing onto scsci
some extra effort needs, could be better that way.

[also i could remove the IR port i don't use, right
??]

some thought i have had about trying other kernels -
don't know enough about that yet. but i am ok with a
2.4 if it works better, seems you can even run etch
with
2.4 (?).

4) the font problems seem to have some connection
with unicode - which i recognize is still pressing
issue even
in etch. (at least i know that the dillo browser is
putting
in that with a library version which has not yet
reached
currently in unstable ... ). so like rxvt works, wterm
half
works, xterm less than half... (try xfm - popup
window).
unless i am just completely confused about permitted
ways
to specify font resources - anyway it surely was
corrupt out of the box, somewhere...
   in context of powerpc and oldworld mac in
particular
i wondered if anyone had experiences like this
elsewhere,
   i have tried putting in more unicode support (gets
worse),
taking out as much as i could (a little better) in the
packages.

5) one last thought - briefly - i was looking with
interest
at pegasos experiment with 603ev-400Mhz/266DDR. i
am not buying 10 though, have to find a 3rd party...
am i crazy - well they are only $150. it costs almost
that much for 128MB ram alone for the 3400. thinking
of like in a box, like a backend, what would run
there...

brian

--- Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@kernel.crashing.org>