IBM 7026-H50 problems?

Hello,

I've been wanting to switch to the PowerPC architecture to keep the
excellent reliability I've had from my now 15 year old IBM server (486).
The best deal I have found for $750 CDN is a 7026-H50 in an S00 rack.
I think I've finished my research and think it will work with Debian.
I couldn't find anything in the archives of this list that mentions it
either way.  Before I buy it, I want to check to see if anybody has any
input on this unit and its suitability.

Here are the details on this unit:

7026-H50 a.k.a. RS/6000 Enterprise Server H50
PowerPC 604e (1-4) I'll start with 2
	with X-5 cache system
Ram: 128MB-3GB 10ns SDRAM (I'll start with 256)
9GB SCSI boot drive (can take 12 more SCSI hotswap)
SCSI CDROM
floppy
PCI: 9 slots on 3 busses
ISA: 2 slots, also runs keyboard, mouse, floppy
serial x 3, paralell x1, ethernet, SCSI x 2 busses all integrated
sold from 1998-2000.

The manual says that to access the firmware menus you need to use
the terminal.

I thought I read somewhere, but now I can't find it, something about the
terminal it needs being line-based as opposed to character-based and so
I'm assuming that Minicom from another computer won't work.  Does
anybody know?  The manual says to use an IBM 3161, although a 5085 or
3164 should also work without needing to refer to a translation table.

I've never actually managed to get the 3.1 Sarge Debian-Installer to run as
none of my computers has enough memory.  When I need to swap drives
around I end up installing 3.0 via boot-floppies and upgrading.

I'm not asking for a step-by-step here, now.  What I'm needing to know
is if someone knows a reason that it may not be possible on this
machine.  I would not reject the computer if its just that 3.1 installer
doesn't work and I'll have to do a more labourious 3.0 install (which
could be more fun and satifying after all).

As this is a 604e, I'm assuming that its a PReP rather than CHRP.

I'll be doing a base-install followed by internet rather than pure
network install.

I've downloaded the 3.1r2 netinst.iso file but have yet to burn it.

If nobody has any negative comments, I'll get the computer and install,
keeping a log and asking questions if required.  If anyone is interested
in the log (perhaps for a HOWTO specific for this computer), they are
welcome to it.

Thanks,

Doug Tutty,
Kingston, Ontario, Canada.